Growing UDL in Our School, seed starting

I feel like I am in a funny position this year.  I am really loving my new role as Essential Skills Support, and really enjoy both the students and working with my colleagues. I am committed to thinking about access for kids and Universally Designing Learning for them and have been pretty open with my thinking around UDL  and teaching with this blog.  I am also trying to find my way as a newish member of the teaching staff.

I am aware that my role, as ESS, is somewhat different than that of the classroom teacher, or at least that there may be a perception that it is. Really, as I see it, we are all here to teach all our kids.  So, when we have conversations at the Design Team meetings about how to encourage and grow UDL practice at each of our schools, I wonder what would be my best course of action.  I wonder how my encouragement and enthusiasm for UDL is perceived or received by teachers I work with.  I wonder if I am I seen as naively idealistic or too exuberant?  I wonder do folks want me to chime in with a UDL perspective or do they groan inwardly at the thought of it?  I wonder Do they want me to offer ideas?  or wait till they ask?   

I also wonder if I am overthinking it all!  In fact, the people who I have had conversations with around UDL have seemed to welcome my ideas.  When I checked in to be sure I am not being too pushy, I have received feedback that I am not.  So, perhaps I really am using restraint and not screaming all that is UDL from the rooftops!  

At our Design Team meeting this week, we talked about the idea of growing UDL practice in a grassroots way, from teacher to teacher.  Paige began at Swift River, with a seed, sharing out with staff about her UDL journey.  She has offered her classroom for observation, and has offered to come observe others.  She has had conversations with teachers seeking ideas, and encouragement.  Within days, the seed she started was growing.

I can't speak for Ms Regan, but I can say I was thrilled when she excitedly thanked me for reminding her to go to Paige's presentation and how it really helped her take a leap that has had a huge impact on her class.  I think of my blog a kind of seed, but I hadn't yet got a sense of whether the seed was sprouting anything at all.  So, I love how clearly Paige's presentation resulted in teachers making changes, some right away, some over days and weeks to follow.

My classroom is small, my student population is somewhat specific, but I am also willing to share.  I am happy to have conversations, or observe, give feedback or just encouragement.  I am not an expert on UDL, but I do think I am an expert learner of UDL practices and though I am not currently a classroom teacher, I have practical experience there.  I would love to offer a time totally voluntary, perhaps once or twice a month, when staff at LES could get together in my room or somewhere else, to talk UDL, ask questions, problem solve, share resources, books, ideas, or offer encouragement.  Also, just know I am happy to talk UDL just about anytime.  


Comments