Something for Monday, Something for Someday

On Monday, as we debriefed from the Groton- Dunstable visits, Page mentioned a phrase we had heard once or twice on this UDL journey:
"What can you take away and try Monday?  and What can you try Someday?"  

After the Groton-Dunstable visit, I saw that they used SeeSaw a lot across different classes and grades. My try it Monday was to include the desktops in my space as part of the choice options in my math interventions. I did check out Seesaw, (it is free!) and I will definitely return to it as a tool.  But to begin I decided to start with something familiar. I set up a Google Classroom for two of my math groups and added some resources, links to a video, and a couple practice sites for math facts.  I knew the kids could access Google Classroom and though I hadn't yet tried it, our tech teacher sent me a video link and I was on my way. The first student to try it out was so familiar with logging in, he asked me for the code before I had time to give it to him.  The key, is that the video, and game I linked to classroom were each focused on the same skill or set of skills, as the other options available in my room, games, practice sheets. There are further choices about which facts or fact families each student needed to work on, which added another level of choice.


Work on Multiplication Facts Mini Book

Circle Page(s) worked on…

1  2 3  4 5 6  7 8 9  

10  11 12  13
Choose a set of facts you need to work on, and complete task cards for ____#.

Write which cards you completed.   
_______________________



PLay BREAK APART for a set of facts you need to work on….

PLay the MULTIPLICATION STACKER game

Play TREASURE HUNT for two or three multiplication fact families.  

SAY the fact Every time you place a card.
Play a Fact strategy Board Game with a partner.
Complete the fact/strategy sheet in your folder.
Create flash cards the facts you need to learn.  (or 4 facts you need to learn)

  • Choose card color
  • Choose writing implement.


So far, despite the disjointed schedule this October, the kids have responded well to the offer of choice.  Students are making progress, and seem comfortable with the choices.  I have a few students finishing up with me for now, and I hope to encourage them to use the Google Classroom activities as a place they can go to practice and keep those brain connections active.

The SeeSaw website is on my "someday" list, but not too far off.  

Comments